Did you know alcohol companies spent more than $2,000,000,000 on advertising in the U.S. in 2013. Celebrities and athletes can get paid hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars to advertise different alcohol brands. The actual chemical effects of alcohol on your body and mind, which is still developing until your mid-20’s, are very different from how alcohol is promoted.
- When you see alcohol in the media, ask yourself:
- Who made the ad and who paid for it?
- How are they trying to make the scene and the product more attractive?
- Does the ad suggest that alcohol makes the situation better?
- How are the advertisers trying to make you feel?
- What do the advertisers want you to believe?
- What isn’t the ad saying?
A Guide for Young People- Learn how alcohol advertising is targeting you.